Patients who are good candidates for Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injection indicate they are not interested in surgery, want to prevent more hair loss, and are currently experiencing a lot of miniaturized hair. A non-surgical solution for hair restoration, PRP MatriStem is not a pharmaceutical or a drug, but a Medical Device sanctioned by the FDA for use in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Structurally, PRP is a biomatrix that repairs and remodels damaged tissue.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) OVERVIEW
1. In hair restoration, PRP will be injected into the scalp. The application of HIP causes miniaturized hair follicles to become healthier and larger, producing more robust hair growth. HIP activates follicular progenitor cells (adult stem cells) and PRP is loaded with growth factors that promote rapid angiogenesis and localized cell growth. Effective for both male and female pattern hair loss, PRP has also regrown hair in alopecia area, eyebrow hypotrichosis and other patient cases with non-hereditary hair loss.
2. The recovery from PRP therapy is typically uneventful. Pain is easily managed in most cases with non-narcotic analgesic medication such as Ibuprofen. Some mild swelling of the forehead is occasionally seen 4-6 hours after PRP injections. This is normal and will resolve in 48 hours. Avoiding vigorous activity is recommended until the swelling is gone. There is no other downtime or noticeable effects of the procedure. Patients can wash their hair normally immediately after the injections.
3. An PRP treatment takes about 80 minutes to complete. First, a blood sample is obtained which is specially processed to produce the PRP. A local anesthetic is then administered to completely numb the scalp treatment area. If desired, a sedative can be administered. The HIP are combined and then administered via a series of injections over the full scalp or in a localized treatment area such as the eyebrows or beard.
4. New hair growth can be seen as early as 2 months, but is typically evident between 5-8 months and will continue to improve up to a year after treatment.
At Hair Cells Plus, PRP therapy is a versatile tool in the treatment of hair loss for a number of causes including:
• Male Pattern Hair Loss – especially in the early stages of balding,
or anytime there is a lot of miniaturized hair on the scalp
• Female Pattern Hair Loss – at all stages of hair loss
• Hypotrichosis (fine/reduced hairs) of the eyebrows or beard
• Alopecia Areata, Alopecia Totalis
• Metabolic causes of hair loss – iron deficiency and medication induced hair loss